We know that the cost of legal services can be worrying for clients and to address this, we are open and upfront in all cases and give realistic estimates of the likely fees, based on our usual professional rates, and expenses that may be incurred in all matters in which we are instructed. 

However, to help you budget for a divorce, we are able to offer a Fixed Fee service: 

Boyd Carter Solicitors & Mediators – Fixed Fee Undefended Divorce Costs

a)         Legal costs for an undefended divorce, as the Petitioner, are a fixed fee of £900 plus VAT plus Court fees of £550 plus, where necessary, Affidavit ‘swear’ fees of £7 or £9. (‘Swear’ fees are payable to an independent lawyer or to avoid these specific costs this can be done at a local Court for no charge.)  

b)         Legal costs for an undefended divorce, as the Respondent, are a fixed fee of £450 plus VAT.

PLEASE NOTE that there are some limited circumstances where costs can exceed the fixed fee – see below.

What ‘Boyd Carter  Solicitors & Mediators – Fixed Fee Undefended Divorce’ includes:

  • From taking initial instructions to the final conclusion of Decree Absolute.
  • An initial interview of up to an hour (or if you wish we can send you a questionnaire so that you can provide information by e-mail or post).
  • Advising you of the documentation and information we need.
  • Preparing all of the documentation.
  • Corresponding with the Court.
  • Corresponding with the other Party or their Solicitor.

What ‘Boyd Carter Solicitors & Mediators – Fixed Fee Undefended Divorce’ does not include:

  • Where proceedings are defended.
  • Where the other Party cannot be found or located.
  • Where either Party is a non-resident of the UK.
  • Disputes relating to children, domestic violence or of a financial nature.
  • Attendance at Court (very rare)
  • Amending the papers after they have been issued to the Court.
  • Representing you in disputes about costs or enforcing costs orders.

Additional costs that you may have to pay on top of the Fixed Fee:

  • If you do not have a certified marriage certificate and a duplicate needs to be obtained.
  • If you swear an Affidavit before a solicitor (rather than before an Officer of the Court, which is free) they may charge an oath fee of up to £9.00.
  • If the other Party does not co-operate in returning the Acknowledgement of Service of the Divorce Petition and it is necessary to either instruct a bailiff to personally serve them with the documents or to apply to the Court for an order that the divorce papers are deemed to have been served.
  • If the government increases the Court fees payable or the rate of VAT which we are required to charge on our services.

Please be aware that whilst we are able to represent you in any additional work flowing from the divorce, such as children disputes, domestic violence injunctions or resolving matrimonial finances, any work that you instruct us to carry out in these areas is not included in the fixed fee.Where additional services are required outside of our undefended divorce fixed fee scheme, we are happy to provide these at our usual professional rates and we will give you an estimate of the likely costs of providing these additional services before that work starts so that you are aware of how much the costs are likely to be.

Clear costs upfront and peace of mind knowing  you have expert support and advice

How we can help

You may have reached the stage where you are considering either separating from your partner or divorce. We understand that this can involve difficult practical and emotional decisions. Our role during this difficult time in your life is to listen, support and provide a personal service that is specifically tailored to your individual needs.

Our solicitors are members of the organisation Resolution and therefore committed to dealing with every case involving relationship breakdown in a sensitive, conciliatory and non aggressive way.

If you are in a cohabiting relationship or married and wish to separate from your partner or spouse and sort out your financial arrangements and /or arrangements for your children then we can advise you of your options and provide practical assistance in terms of drafting Separation agreements where appropriate and necessary.

If you wish to divorce then we can handle this process for you and any related issues. If your spouse has started divorce proceedings against you then again we can advise and guide you through the process. We will offer you as much or as little assistance as you may want or require.

To commence divorce proceedings you need to have been married for at least one year and prove that the marriage has broken down irretrievably which will involve presenting a petition to the court based on one of the following five “facts”;

  • Adultery
  • Unreasonable Behaviour
  • Desertion
  • Two Years Separation with consent
  • Five years Separation without consent.

Every case is different but the divorce process usually takes between 6 – 12 months from the date when the divorce petition is sent to the court to the date when Decree Absolute is granted. Decree Absolute is the final decree in the divorce process which once granted by the court ends the marriage. In some cases it will be appropriate to delay the Decree Absolute application until any financial issues between you and your spouse have been resolved.

Our fixed fee divorce package provides you with all the support and advice that you need to complete your undefended divorce as quickly and efficiently as possible.

One of our specialist family lawyers will be with you every step of the way from initial instructions to decree absolute to ensure the legal process is looked after so you can focus on the practical side of the divorce.